Monday, January 20, 2014

Figure Drawings

These are the drawings from my final portfolio review.


This first one is called 30 Minute Woman. And it is just that. A simple study of a female model in charcoal.


This is a portrait called Bud. Bud isn't his real name its just a friendly nickname I call most friends. It is done in Conte crayon on Arches Cover White Paper. 



This is a simple male study, a more recent drawing than some of the others. This one happens to be in charcoal. Yu can see some of the inconsistencies in lighting from the model moving after their breaks. 


Comparing it to this study, which was done about a month earlier, you can see how my forms are getting cleaner and less driven by contour lines. You can also see how this earlier drawing had struggles with body proportions. 


This drawing was one of my first Conte figure drawings. You can see how I used different color fields to break up the composition a little. I like the upper body, you can see where my focus was. The lower body still needs work, his legs aren't that dark and the forms are a little off. 


Next are the self portraits. This is a portrait of myself in disguise. It was an exercise in making yourself look like you even when parts of your face are obscured. This one is in charcoal on Arches paper. 


In comparison to this earlier self-portrait, you can clearly see that my mark making has since improved as well as my composition. Facial features got stronger such as the nose and such. Proportions are off but the resemblance can still be seen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment